- This event has passed.
Day of Design: CEUs for Design Professionals
June 9 @ 10:00 am - 5:00 pmFree
Don’t procrastinate! Designers and architects can satisfy multiple CEU credits in one day, network with peers, and be among the first to see the Design Economy Expo! Featuring classes from industry-leading manufacturers Dornbracht, Authenteak, Mirage, and Velux, as well as a special keynote presentation by Todd Bertsch from HOK – designer of the new Porsche NA Headquarters. Includes access to the Design Economy Expo. Acoustics provided by BuzziSpace.
Sponsored by ASID Georgia
Presentation & CEU Agenda:
Special Presentation for Day of Design Attendees and open to the public:
10:00 am–11:00 am – A New Paradigm by HOK’s Todd Bertsch – Designing Porsche Cars North America’s High-Performance Headquarters
– Tasked with creating a forward-thinking home for an automotive company steeped in nearly a century of design heritage, HOK Atlanta’s director of design, Todd Bertsch, felt compelled to flip the script and stretch boundaries for One Porsche Drive. Hear about how, armed with a limited palette of modern materials, Bertsch set about inverting the standard architectural response to such a project.
11:30 pm – 12:30 pm – Velux – Benefits of Daylight and Fresh Air in Residential Design (.1 LU/HSW)
– A comprehensive, educational program to communicate how skylights can contribute and provide the benefits of natural ventilation, daylight and energy efficiency to ensure good health and wellbeing in residential applications as well as evaluating the importance of indoor climate and the aspects of creating better living conditions.
Lunch Break 12:30 pm – 1:30 pm
1:30 pm – 2:30 pm – Dornbracht – Glassed Steel in Bathroom Architecture (.1 AIA CES and IDCEC)
Discover the usage of glassed steel in the bathroom, a material that dates back more than 115 years. What You’ll Learn:
– The history of glassed steel and its use in bathroom architecture and design
– The difference between glassed steel and enameled steel
– The features and benefits of glassed steel based on its unique design and production process
– Emerging trends in products and materials that support the design of contemporary bathrooms
2:45 – 3:45 – Mirage/Specialty Tile – Porcelain Pavers: Application and Uses (.1 AIA CES)
Learning objectives for participants:
– Materials for outdoor landscapes
– What is a Porcelain Paver?
– Technical specifications
– Properties of porcelain pavers
– Comparisons with alternative materials
– Landscape design
– Laying systems
Break: 3:45 – 4:00
4:00 – 5:00 pm – Authenteak – Fundamentals of Outdoor Furnishings (.1 CEU IDCEC)
Participants will gain an understanding of:
– the history of outdoor furniture and living from the ancient world until present day.
– the modern materials used in outdoor furniture construction.
– the various types of outdoor furniture constructions including but not limited to mortise and tenon and wrought iron.
– the use and care of the most popular types of materials.
– best practices and ideal applications of the materials previously discussed.